Monday, May 7, 2012

Frustration

Why is it so hard to write? Why do I feel like I need an audience for every word I compose? Why can't I just write for the sake of writing? Why can't I just write to tell a story, even if no one will read it?


But then again...


"If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, does the tree falling even matter?"
No.


I want to matter.
I want to change lives.
I want to be important.
I want to be successful.
I want to be known.
I want to feel satisfied.
I want to be a best-seller.
I want to be asked for interviews.


When will I be able to delete "want to"?


I matter.
I change lives.
I am important.
I am successful.
I am known.
I am satisfied.
I am a best-seller.
I am asked for interviews.


Will it be today?
Two weeks from now?
A month?
A year?
Years?
On my deathbed?
Never?


Only one person can determine this...
and he seems to be writing this post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian! The only phrase up there you need to believe in is: "I matter." I feel your pain. I remember wanting to chuck my laptop out the second story window more than once! Trying to get my finished novel out there, too. You do matter and if you're like me, you write because it's who you ARE! But don't we artists need our egos stroked? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement J. Powell! My mood is vastly improved when I know that other authors feel my angst and frustration. We write because that's who we are, I like that.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment here.