Friday, April 13, 2012

Sad Realizations

So, in the last few days, I have been working hard to revamp The Cholorza Outbreak. While it sold okay as a free e-book, now that the free promotion is over, the book will be forgotten by all. I think there is one main reason why: it is way to short!


As it stands now, published on Amazon, it's only 18,000 words. That's nothing! So, I've been working to get it to 30,000 words. I've written in a second point of view, and it's giving some nice depth to the novel. Problem is, today I did more research on word counts. Sad news.


In order for my fiction book to become competitive, it has to be at least 70,000 words! After working hard for the last few days, I've only gotten The Cholorza Outbreak up to 25,000 words. That means I'm still roughly 50,000 words short!


I've done the math and I'm bound and determined to get this book finished by the end of the school year. Which means I only have five weeks to do it, yikes! Ready to see what that boils down to?


I need to write at least 10,000 words per week. Which means I need to write at least 2,000 five days a week. And these can't just be words for words sake either. These have to be polished, amazing, plot-building, character-developing driven words.


If being a full-time author is something I want to pursue, I have to do this. Unfortunately, Poked and Prodded is going to have to wait on the back burner, unless I find time to send out query letters for an incomplete manuscript. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here.